Featured Exhibits Menu   >    Chetzemoka Trail Exhibit  >  Exhibit Pages   

 

Looking south, view Kilisut Harbor and Indian Island (now Naval Magazine Indian Island). Archeological evidence shows that Indian Island was an important location to the ancestors of the SíKlallam and Chimacum people for over 1,500 years. For many centuries, sea level was as much as 7 meters lower than today, making the harbor a fertile wetland.

 

In 1870,čičməhán (Cheech-ma-han) met with a Territorial delegate, asking that the Tribe be given Indian Island as the SíKlallam reservation, but that request was denied.

 

čičməhán and his family, including his two sons Charlie Swan York and Prince of Wales, moved to the village at the northeast corner of Indian Island called šťʔnəkw, after being forcibly removed to the S'Klallam Indian Agency (the Skokomish Reservation in Hood Canal) from Port Townsend in 1871.

 

Real estate records show that in 1887, a parcel of land was sold by Catherine McCurdy to pačwŪɬəs (Prince of Wales) and Charlie York, the sons of čičməhán, and to James Webster (Chimacum Jim) and his wife Louise, whose descendants are citizens of todayís Port Gamble SíKlallam Tribe. In 1888, pačwŪɬəs purchased additional land at šťʔnəkw from Ms. McCurdy and maintained ownership and residency there until 1941.

 

Indian-owned lands on Ihudsonbeachndian Island were lost when the federal government took it through the Eminent Domain process in 1939-41, to convert the island into a Naval base.

 

Several other SíKlallam families lived across the bay in Port Hadlock near the Old Alcohol Plant (an area called ʔənəƛŠnnəxw or Patseyís hole). Canoe travel between the two places was common. Many SíKlallam and their descendants still live in the Irondale/Port Hadlock area.

 

 

1904 City of Port Townsend plat map of Indian Island showing S'Klallam-owned lands at šťʔnəkw (depicted in red) on the Island, and a close-up of the SíKlallam-owned parcels. From the collections of the Jefferson County Historical Society.

 

 

 

čičməhán Trail Map...


 

 

Chetzemoka Park Four Points Fowler Building Hudson Beach/Big Heart Laurel Grove Cemetery Memorial Field North Beach Northwest Maritime Center Port Townsend Ferry Overlook Point Hudson Port Townsend Post Office Point Wilson qatay Lagoon qatay Prairie qatay Valley entinel Rock Swan School Union Wharf/Indian Island

 

Click the markers on the map above to visit the
trail site pages.

 

Trail Sign Locations:


 

  1. Chetzemoka Park
    900 Jackson St. (main entrance)
     
  2. Hudson Beach/Big Heart
    103 Hudson St.
     
  3. Point Hudson
    103 Hudson St.
     
  4. Northwest Maritime Center
    Water St. & Monroe St.
     
  5. Village at Memorial Field
    Washington St.
     
  6. Fowler Building
    226 Adams St.
     
  7. Union Wharf/Indian Island
    Wharf on end of Taylor St.
     
  8. Port Townsend Ferry Overlook
    1200 Block of Washington St.
     
  9. Port Townsend Post Office
    1322 Washington St.
     
  10. qatáy Lagoon

     
  11. Laurel Grove Cemetery
    24th St. & Discovery Rd.
     
  12. Swan School / Klallam language
    2345 Kuhn St.
     
  13. Sentinel Rock
    1948 Blaine St. (Golf Course)
     
  14. qatáy Prairie
    1948 Blaine St.
     
  15. Four Points
    Blaine St. & and VanBuren St.
     
  16. qatáy Valley
    Pacific Ave.& Milo St.
     
  17. North Beach
    End of Kuhn St.
     
  18. Point Wilson
    Fort Worden
     
  19.  

     

     

     

     

     

 

Previous Trail Sign
 

 

Next Trail Sign

Fowler Building 

 

 Port Townsend Ferry Overlook

 

 


 

Exhibit Home   |   Sponsors   |   About   |   PDF Trail Map